Site migration, redesign, and optimization for revenue and search
Building the web foundation and tools for a digital marketing strategy.
About this work
In 2013, the SPS marketing team faced a number of website-related challenges. They did not have the right tools, did not have a web professional on staff, and their CMS was rigid, not allowing them to add campaign tracking or segmented forms. Their site’s search functionality was broken, their template options did not allow for effective landing page design, and duplicate content was creating SEO problems.
I came on board to rebuild and manage their marketing websites and related technology stack.
- Create a website that is flexible, scalable, and easy to use by non-developers.
- Add tracking and marketing integrations to website.
- Research, configure, and integrate marketing additional tools (ex: A/B testing, session recording, heat maps).
- Set up a development environment, staging, and deployment workflow.
- Migrated to a more widely supported CMS (WordPress)
- Complete redesign and creation of child theme
- WordPress admin customizations to create efficiency for the marketing team
- Added drag-and-drop responsive page editor to give team flexibility with design + library of pre-built design layouts and sections
- Filterable retailer database built into the site
- Built out language versions of the website using WPML
- Moved website to Pantheon, a container-based environment and deployment workflow
- Created a separate website for referral programs
- Integrated website with marketing automation (Pardot)
- SEO and conversion rate optimization (CRO) strategy
- A/B testing tools
- Tracking tools, heat maps, recorded sessions
- Page-level conversion tracking
- Web design: Sketch, Adobe Creative Suite
- CMS: WordPress
- SEO: Moz, Yoast SEO
- CRO: VWO, Inspectlet
- Analytics/data: Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, Salesforce
- Marketing automation: Pardot, Mailchimp
- Conversions: 100% conversion growth, two years in a row
- Revenue: 300% revenue growth through website channel
- SEO: Won #1 spot for several target keywords.
- Efficiency: Previously no marketers could make website changes. Now 14 individuals can easily edit web content or create new content and landing pages using pre-built templates and modules.